If you sit at your desk all day and want to find a way to stay active without having to leave your work space, an underdesk elliptical may be what you need. This exercise equipment allows you to pedal your feet in a circular motion, similar to using an elliptical machine at 24 Hour Fitness. It’s perfect for anyone who has a desk job and wants to stay active throughout the day.
Pros of Underdesk Ellipticals
Underdesk ellipticals offer a number of benefits including:
- Improved Physical Health – Underdesk ellipticals provide a low-impact workout that can help with cardiovascular health, weight loss, and muscle tone. It can also help improve blood circulation and reduce stiffness in the muscles, joints, and tendons.
- Increased Productivity – Many users report feeling more productive and energized after using this equipment during work hours. By allowing users to remain active while seated, it can help combat the physical and mental fatigue that often comes from long periods of sitting.
- Reduced Stress – Exercise is a proven stress reliever, and using an underdesk elliptical can help reduce stress levels throughout the day. This is especially important for those who work in high-stress environments, as it can help improve focus and concentration.
- Convenience – It’s compact and portable, making it a convenient option for those with limited space in their homes or offices. It’s also relatively quiet, so you won’t be disturbing anyone.
- Customizable Workout – Many underdesk ellipticals come with adjustable resistance levels, allowing you to customize your workout to fit your needs and fitness level. This means that you can gradually increase the intensity of your workout over time, which can help prevent injury and improve overall fitness.
- Cost-Effective – Compared to other exercise equipment, an underdesk elliptical is relatively inexpensive. It is also cost-effective in terms of time, as it allows you to exercise while you work, saving time that would otherwise be spent on separate workouts.
While underdesk ellipticals have many benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider, such as:
- Limited Range of Motion – An underdesk elliptical typically has a limited range of motion compared to full-sized elliptical machines. This means that the workout may not be as intense or provide the same level of full-body workout as a traditional elliptical.
- Limited Adjustability – Some have limited adjustability, which can make it difficult for users to find the most comfortable and effective workout position. This can be especially problematic for users with certain physical limitations.
- Not Suitable for All Desks – An underdesk elliptical requires a certain amount of clearance under the desk in order to be used comfortably. Some desks may not have enough space, or may have a design that makes it difficult to use an underdesk elliptical.
- Cost – While these machines are generally less expensive than full-sized elliptical machines, they can still be relatively expensive compared to other types of exercise equipment. This may be a barrier for some users who are on a tight budget.
- Limited Resistance Levels – Some have limited resistance levels, which can make it difficult to increase the intensity of your workout over time. This may not be a problem for all users, but those looking for a more challenging workout may need to consider other options.
Dangers of Sitting at Your Desk All Day
Sitting at a desk for extended periods of time has become a common part of many people’s daily routine. Whether you work in an office or from home, it’s easy to spend hours on end sitting in front of a computer screen. However, this sedentary lifestyle can be incredibly detrimental to your health. It may lead to:
- Increased risk of obesity – Sitting for long periods of time slows down your metabolism, which can cause you to gain weight. Research has shown that people who sit for more than eight hours a day are at a higher risk of obesity and related health problems such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Poor posture – Prolonged sitting can lead to poor posture, which can cause neck and back pain. Poor posture can also lead to headaches, muscle tension, and joint pain.
- Increased risk of heart disease – Studies have shown that people who sit for long periods of time have a higher risk of developing heart disease. Sitting for long periods of time can cause your blood flow to slow down, which can increase your blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Higher risk of cancer – Studies have also shown that people who sit for extended periods of time have a higher risk of developing certain types of cancer, such as colon, breast, and ovarian cancer. This is thought to be due to the fact that sitting for long periods of time can cause inflammation in the body, which can lead to cancer.
- Poor circulation – It can also cause poor circulation in the legs and feet, which can lead to swelling, varicose veins, and even blood clots.
- Increased risk of depression and anxiety – People who sit for long periods of time are at a higher risk of developing depression and anxiety. This is thought to be due to the fact that sitting for long periods of time can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness.
- Eye strain – Sitting in front of a computer screen for hours at a time can cause eye strain, which can lead to headaches and blurred vision.
Whether or not an underdesk elliptical is worth it ultimately depends on your individual needs and goals. If you spend long hours sitting at a desk and want to incorporate more physical activity into your workday, this equipment can be a convenient and effective solution.
Need more reasons to exercise? Watch this video explaining why prolonged sitting is bad for you: