If the proverb “a positive outlook brings the best in you” is not true, then how come people who have that certain glow seem to avoid getting sick and live longer lives? Many people have experienced vigorous lives, even if they are under difficult circumstances, just because they have a positive mental attitude.
Yes, looking at the bright side of life will result in good health and long life. You need to learn how to practice positive thinking if you want to transform your life and make it better than it is now.
Why Positive Thinking is Important
It is wrong to assume that positive thinking only affects you mentally. There are hundreds of studies conducted by medical science that confirm the fact that a right mental attitude also directly affects the functioning of the organs in our bodies, thus positively affecting your physical health.
Having a positive outlook in life reduces the effects of stress hormones on your body and allows it to draw on its innate healing abilities. On the other hand, having a negative outlook will activate centers of the brain that cause the release of stress hormones. If you cannot manage this rush of stress hormones, it can cause your body to be susceptible to all kinds of diseases, including those that are life-threatening.
What Positive Thinking Can Do
- It will strengthen your relationships.
Having a positive mental outlook will naturally shield you from the daily stresses that most people are faced with. You will not be disturbed by the negative things that other people do to you and you will tend to ignore and let them pass away. As a result, your relationships with them will develop for the better, since in effect, you are a person that is hard to put down.
Instead of getting angry at others who show disrespect, you will have compassion on them because you somehow understand where they are coming from. Your understanding will increase and you will be more non-judgmental towards others.
- Your face and your whole personality will have a special glow.
Although a positive mental attitude always starts inside, it will eventually manifest itself on the outside. People will notice that special glow in you as you relate to them. Those who don’t know you will not be able to avoid smiling when you cross their paths because of that happy glow on your face.
That certain glow will not be there if you are insincere. It will only sparkle if you honestly and sincerely cultivate a positive mental attitude. You may be able to fool the naïve, but those who are in the know will easily see what you really are inside.
- You will appear confident.
Being confident without being self-conceited is one of the things that most people are attracted to. That means you will have more success whatever your work is because people will also be more confident with you.
This is one of the finest benefits of having a positive mental outlook. It is not being self-absorbed, but just having that certain image that you know exactly what you are doing, and you are not cocky about it.
People are not thrown off with this kind of self-confidence, unlike those who are bragging about their skills and abilities.
Building a Positive Mental Outlook
- Engage yourself by actively taking part in things that makes you happy. It might be that you have to insert these things in your daily schedule. Some of the things that make us happy are talking to your best friend, listening to music that you love, and so forth.
- You can only practice positive thinking if you have good health. One of the enemies of a positive outlook is disease. It is hard to think positive if you are sick. But in order to get out of your sick bed, you need to think positive. So, good health is important.
And you will be able to maintain good health by being physically active. It would be good if you could sign up for a membership in a gym like Fitness 19 or UFC Gym to start you off on your road to good health. Having a membership in a gym will develop in you the habit of doing regular physical workouts.
- Support your efforts with visual images. Display pictures in your room of happy events in your life or the trophies and awards that you got. These are things that will help you appreciate yourself, even if others don’t.